Tattoo aftercare is the process of caring for your new tattoo during the healing process. This is important because it helps to ensure that your tattoo heals properly and looks its best.
The skin is essentially a wound when you get a tattoo, so it’s important to keep it clean and protected during the healing process. Here are some of the most important things to do for tattoo aftercare:
- Wash your hands thoroughly before and after touching your tattoo.
- Gently wash your tattoo with warm water and fragrance-free soap two to three times a day.
- Apply a thin layer of fragrance-free, non-alcoholic moisturizer to your tattoo after washing it.
- Avoid scratching or picking at your tattoo.
- Keep your tattoo out of the sun and away from direct sunlight for at least two weeks.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing to avoid rubbing your tattoo.
- If you have any concerns about your tattoo’s healing, be sure to consult with your tattoo artist.
Here are some of the things you should avoid doing for tattoo aftercare:
- Do not soak your tattoo in water.
- Do not use harsh soaps or scrubs on your tattoo.
- Do not use ointments or creams that contain petroleum jelly.
- Do not smoke or expose your tattoo to secondhand smoke.
- Do not drink alcohol.
By following these simple aftercare tips, you can help ensure that your tattoo heals properly and looks its best for years to come.
Here are some additional tips for tattoo aftercare:
- If your tattoo is in an area that is prone to sweating, such as the armpit or groin, be sure to wash it more often.
- If your tattoo starts to itch, resist the urge to scratch it. Scratching can damage the skin and delay the healing process.
- If your tattoo develops any signs of infection, such as redness, swelling, or pus, be sure to see a doctor right away.